Monday, May 24, 2010

groundwork day

I worked three horses today.

I got Tilly out and we talked about how a broken fence board does not mean she is free to gallop around like a lunatic. She wasn't the easiest horse to calm down but, I'm suitably pleased with her.

Colonel was quite good. We worked on transitions between trot and canter. Especially transitions that involve no death trotting or head flipping.

I put long lines on Libby. What a mess. She has a neck like a bull and she knows it. She got away from me and ran off to eat grass and pester Tessa. I put a crupper on the surcingle (I had neglected to do this earlier) and then ran the reins through the bit and back to the surcingle. "Power steering" is what Robert calls it. When Libby discovered that pulling on my hands caused pulling on the underside of her tail, she was pissed. Eventually though I had her minding her P's and Q's like a lady.

No comments: